We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Stained glass work has been done since the seventh century but in today’s era, it has been revolutionized ever since the invention of various tools.
These tools have made the life of artists easier. Stained glass soldering irons are such an invention that is an essential part of an artist’s tool kit.
Stained glass soldering irons are loved by the artists because they keep the colored glass pieces together.
Now that there are many soldering irons available in the market, it becomes extremely difficult for the artist to decide which stained glass soldering iron is best for them.
In this article, we will provide a list of the 5 best stained glass soldering irons available in the market.
Our Top Picks:
- Ceramic choice: Hakko FX601-02 stained (See price on Amazon)
- Lightweight choice: Weller W100PG (See price on Amazon)
- Multi-purpose iron: X-Tronic Model 3020 (See price on Amazon).
- Ergonomic design: American Beauty-100 W (See price on Amazon).
- Affordable choice: Aoyue 469 (See price on Amazon).
The Hakko FX601-02 is undoubtedly the best stained glass soldering iron available in the market for small to medium-sized projects.
It is a lightweight product that quickly heats up and performs the job easily. It is a 67-watt ceramic soldering iron which is a great competition for a standard 100 watts metal soldering iron.
Being a ceramic iron it is nearly weightless as compared to a regular metal iron. It has precise temperature adjustments and it holds the set temperature efficiently.
It is an easy-to-use and handy product that can be adjusted to 6 different temperatures. Due to which it can be used for every type of stained glass project.
It can achieve temperature up to 540 degrees Celcius. It is best for regular use but it will be enough for heavy-duty projects as well.
- Easy to use and has a good grip for long projects.
- It reaches the desired temperature quickly
- Ceramic elements last longer than metal ones.
- In larger projects, it might not perform its best.
Final verdict: It is one of the best stained glass soldering irons because it can hold the temperature well and performs the job efficiently. It is highly recommended for anyone who is just starting or trying it out of a hobby.
Weller soldering irons do not need any introduction because they have been in the business for a long time.
They have performed quite well and they are long-lasting, they can last you for a decade or more.
The Weller W100PG is a heavy-duty standard iron from Weller which does the job extremely well. It has a 100W nichrome heater which allows you to change the temperature using different tips.
The temperature ranges from 600 degrees Fahrenheit to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. It has an easy-to-handle lightweight design that does not require any stand or base. All the parts are heavy duty so they can perform well in heavy projects.
The best part about Weller stained glass soldering irons is that they are not complex, there is a simple heater in the middle, there are options of many tips that you can use according to the demand of your project.
- The brand has a good reputation.
- It quickly reaches its temperature.
- Simple design and lightweight.
- Easy to use.
- Occasionally the temperature might drop and it will need time to rest.
- Can be difficult to operate for new users.
Final verdict: A simple electrical device that delivers what it promises and does the job quite well. However, for new users, we would recommend going for irons that allow temperature adjustments.
A perfect model designed for beginners as well as experts with excellent quality and durability.
It quickly heats up within 30 seconds and the temperature ranges from 200°C to 480°C.
It has specific safety features because it can be dangerous when you work with such high temperatures. It has special features like a sleep timer and auto cool-down.
It has a self-check ability to detect short circuits and overload.
Bonus tip: This product can be used with wood and leather as well. You only need to know the right temperatures.
- A great multi-purpose iron.
- It can switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- It has a sleep mode that activates after 10 minutes of non-usage.
- The soldering cord is not detachable.
- The handle becomes hot sometimes.
Final verdict: It is a great all-rounder purchase for beginners as well as experts because it has all the essential features that you may not find in this price range.
The L-shaped strongly built tip makes this tool a great option for stained glass soldering iron.
The American beauty 100 watts is another handy and easy-to-use soldering iron.
Glass work usually requires intricate designs and this product serves best for this cause because it has an excellent shaped tip and handles which makes it easy to reach every corner of the glass.
There is very little chance of error or fault in the overall experience. With this soldering iron, you will need a base station because of its design.
- It has an ergonomic design.
- Every part is high quality which can be replaced at any time.
- Customer service is great which is rare to find in this field.
- It is a bit pricey.
Final verdict: Despite being a bit pricey, this product is worth your money due to the experience, ergonomic shape, and efficient heating element. A good purchase that will last you for more than a decade.
The Aoyue 469 is equipped with dual-colored LED which allows you to visually monitor the current temperature of the iron.
It has 60 Watts power system. It comes with one tip but 50 different types of tips can be used with this iron. It has a portable and lightweight design which does not need a lot of space.
It is easy to carry wherever you want to take it. Its temperature ranges from 200-480° C. There is very little chance of error or fault in the overall experience.
It is equipped with a fast-acting PTC ceramic heater suitable for various soldering needs.
- Portable and lightweight
- Compatible with most types of tips
- Good temperature control
- The tip included with the iron is not of great quality.
Final verdict: If you are looking for an affordable iron as a beginner and not for heavy projects then this is the perfect choice for you.
Things to consider before buying an iron:
it is important to do your research and buy the best product which will last you for years. Let’s go through a few things that you should always consider before buying a stained glass soldering iron :
- Variety: For every stained glass project there are different requirements. So, it is important to check whether the soldering iron will be useful for every type of task or not.
The best irons are easy to use and adjustable to all the needs of the project.
- Heat capacity: While soldering a glass, it is required that the tip maintains a certain temperature to perfectly solder the stained glass.
The heat capacity of these irons ranges from 65 watts to 300 watts.
- The material of soldering irons: If your working hours are a bit too long and you need your iron to keep running, then it is best for you to invest in metal irons instead of ceramic ones.
The metal irons take some time in heating up, but once heated they retain the heat for a long time which is the opposite of ceramic soldering irons.
Choosing the best stained glass soldering iron that is worth your money can be a cause of worry. In this article, we have tried to provide you with the best soldering irons that are available in the market. We have also taught you the technical considerations that you should keep in your mind while buying a stained glass soldering iron.